- About Our Program
- Fee Schedules
- 2016-17 Tuition Assistance
- Contact Dragon's Den
- Afterschool Forms and Handouts
- Vacation and Late Opening Care Programs
The Dragon’s Den program is designed to meet the needs of the older youth in our community. The program will work to provide unique experiences tailored to interests of youth ages 9-12 to include social support, community involvement, active participation, homework assistance and creative expression.
The Dragon’s Den offers youth a setting for trying new things, expressing their creativity, practicing good decision making skills, and working to become independent and responsible citizens. The program is designed to grow with the youth and be driven by their interests and ambition.
Our professional, creative, and educated staff serve as positive role-models and work to provide care that is supportive, nurturing, and responsive to each participating youth.
We have a capacity for 24 youth each day. Our actual day to day numbers may vary. Our ratio requirement is 1:15 by state law.
We respect the family as the primary and most important care provider and believe that families, school and Afterschool are all partners in each youth’s care, education and success.
We aim to create a partnership between parents/guardians and program staff for the benefit of every youth in our program, and we promote and encourage daily communication. Our doors are open to parents/guardians at all times and we welcome families to drop in and hang out with their youth.
We believe the strength of the Dragon’s Den program is in the dedication of our caring teaching staff. We support our afterschool teachers with continued professional development opportunities, resources, and the freedom to create unique learning experiences for the youth in our program.
All our program staff are registered with the State of Oregon as required by law and go through the state-required background checks. Program staff at the PJA Dragon’s Den are also equipped with certifications in First Aid, CPR, Food Handling, and Recognizing/Reporting Youth Abuse and Neglect.
Hours of Operation
We are open from the first to final day of school, Monday through Friday from 2:15 to 6:00pm, excepting holiday closures and vacation day program hours.We do not offer morning care at this time
Healthy and Nutritious Snacks
We are committed to serving food that is both appealing to youth and supportive of their growth and development. We follow nutritional guidelines for school-age youth established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the National Afterschool Association (NAA).
Dragon’s Den snacks include 100% juice or milk; fruits or vegetables; a dairy option: generally cheese, milk or yogurt, and a grains portion of crackers, pasta or other breads. All snacks served are Kosher. Water is always available.
School's Served by Dragon's Den
Dragon’s Den serves youth from PPS & PJA.
We provide Transportation services using a rented school bus from a local school bus company. PPS Schools that we currently provide daily transportation from include the following: Maplewood, Reike and East Sylvan Elementary.
Robert Gray students can also attend the program taking the PPS bus route 131 which drops off at the top of our campus parking lot.
PJA students come direct from their classrooms at the end of their school day.
Youth from other schools are always welcome to attend the Dragon’s Den program providing there is space available and they are able to acquire transportation to our program.
Enrollment at Dragon’s Den remains open throughout the school year providing there is space available in the program.
To begin the enrollment process you can:
- 1. Call or email the Director of PJA Afterschool Programs to have enrollment forms mailed to you.
- 2. Download our enrollment paperwork from below, then complete and return via fax, email or mail.
Automatic Payment Form (optional)
E-Statement Enrollment (optional)
- Signatures are REQUIRED to complete forms.
- Completed enrollment means agreeing to our program policies and parent/guardian expectations.
- A 10% Sibling Discount is awarded for 3 days a week or greater enrollment of at least 1 child.
Space availability depends upon our daily attendance numbers. Dragon's Den strives to maintain a low teacher to child ratio, and is limited by available space afterschool. Please contact the Department Director for current availability.
We are able to offer Tuition Assistance. Our goal at PJA-Dragon's Den is to provide quality, enriching Afterschool care to every school-age child.
If you have specific Tuition Assistance application questions, please call or email Beth Germain, 503.535.3593.
*We do accept DHS Subsidy and other forms of Tuition Assistance. Please contact us with any questions you might have.
PJA Afterschool Department Director, Natalie Haskins
Phone: 503.535.3546, Fax: 503.452.7001
Dragon's Den Site Director
Phone: 503.535.3637, Email Dragon's Den
Physical & Mailing Address:
Dragon's Den Afterschool Program
c/o Portland Jewish Academy
6651 SW Capitol Hwy
Portland, OR 97219
Mail Tuition Payments to:
Portland Jewish Academy
Attn: Billing Department, RE: Dragon’s Den Tuition
6651 SW Capitol Hwy.,
Portland, OR 97219
All forms are available in PDF for your convenience. Paper copies can also be made available upon request.
2016-17 VDP Emergency Card (non-members only)
Vacation Care Programs
(Care on PJA and PPS No-School Days as well as PPS monthly 2-hr Late Starts)
PJA-Afterschool offers special full day care for holiday breaks, school conference breaks, teacher in-service breaks, and PPS Late Open days. These are called Vacation Care Programs and are held on-site at Kidscorner.
Please refer to the 2016-17 Kidscorner Calendar for specific Vacation Care Programs.
Vacation Care Hours
Full-Day Care Programs 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, unless otherwise noted
Half-Day Care Programs 12:15 - 6:00 pm (for PJA students only and only on specifically marked days) Early closures at 5:00 pm may occur and will be listed on the form.
PPS 2-hour Late Opening Care Open at 7:00 am and goes until 2 hours past school's regular start time (varies by school.)
Vacation Care Fees
For information on vacation care rates and more, please visit our Fee Schedule page.
Terms of Participation
- Vacation Care Forms must be accompanied by any/all necessary the fees in full.
- Vacation Care Forms must be received by the listed deadline date (generally one business week prior).
- Participation Authorization Forms received after the listed deadline will be accepted only if there is space available.
- Vacation Care Tuition Members are subject to cancellation fees and loss of spot without refund if Vacation Care Forms are not submitted by the registration deadline.
- Cancellation must be made in writing to the Director of the PJA-Afterschool Department (email is acceptable).
- Cancellations made prior to the listed deadline, 90% of paid fees will be refunded. No refunds are applicable to Vacation Care Tuition participants.
- Cancellations made after the listed deadline, 50% of paid fees will be refunded. No refunds are applicable to Vacation Care Tuition participants.
- PJA-Afterschool Department reserves the right to dismiss a child whose behavior is deemed inappropriate, in which case, no refunds will be given.
- Vacation Day Programs offered in June are not included in any Tuition package and do require separate registration as well as payment upon registration.
- If PPS closes due to inclement weather, PJA-Afterschool will be cancelled as we are required to follow the PPS Inclement Weather Policy. Stay up to date on the PPS Inclement Weather closures by following PPSAlerts via twitter (note you do not need to be a twitter user to use this feature as it can send texts to your mobile phone instead of tweets.)
Vacation Program Emergency Card
The Vacation Program Emergency card is for non-program members only and is required for Vacation Care participation.
You can contact your Program Site Director or the Director of PJA-Afterschool Department for further details.
Once we receive and process your form, we will email you a participation confirmation.
Vacation Program and Late Opening Forms:
- PJA Students
PJA Spring Term 2017 Vacation Programs
PPS Late Openings 2016-17
PPS Spring Term 2017 Vacation Programs
2016-17 VDP Emergency Card (non-members only)
The PJA-Afterschool Department Director must receive a completed and signed Vacation Care Form and the required Vacation Program Emergency Form before any child is eligible to participate in any Vacation Day Program or Late Opening. This form acts as your legal permission slip for your child to be in our program's care for the extended hours as well as participate in all planned activities and field trips. Incomplete and/or unsigned forms will be returned unprocessed.
Please send participation forms to:
Postal Mail ATTN: PJA-Afterschool, 6651 SW Capitol; Hwy, Portland, OR 97219
Fax ATTN: PJA-Afterschool at 503.452.7001
Email to Afterschool@pjaproud.org
Hand Deliver to PJA Office to put in the Afterschool Inbox
**Forms are considered incomplete without your signature. Please do not return incomplete forms as they will be returned to you unprocessed which may result in losing your space in the program.