- About Our Program
- Fee Schedule
- 2016-17 Tuition Assistance
- Contact Kidscorner
- Afterschool Forms and Handouts
- Vacation and Late Opening Care Programs
Afterschool Enrichment Childcare Program
for Kindergarten - 3rd grade PJA and PPS students
at Portland Jewish Academy
MISSION – To create, build and maintain programs dedicated to the care, education, and development of children and youth during their out of school time. We emphasize life skills through community service and enrichment-based programming.
The Kidscorner Program follows a philosophy of teaching developed by the National AfterSchool Association (NAA), which states that a programs goal or mission should be to provide a balance of activities in the day of the child whose time in an enrichment setting extends after school hours. To learn more about the philosophy of teaching developed by the National Afterschool Association, (NAA), please visit their website.
We encourage children to become responsible, self-confident, independent, active explorers and enthusiastic learners by stressing the process of learning and discovery through developmentally as well as age-appropriate activities that meet the children’s interests. The activities and environment at Kidscorner are specially structured to address the interests and development levels of school-age children.
- Fun enrichment activities
- Well-equipped indoor activity areas for exploring: arts & crafts; drawing; science discovery; dramatic & imaginative play; board & table games; building & construction; plus more…
- Opportunities for resting, relaxing and reading
- Opportunity for children to work towards homework completion, Monday-Friday, for at least 35 minutes
- Large outdoor play areas
We have a capacity for 70 children each day but our actual day to day numbers may vary. Our ratio requirement is 1:15 by state law. We strive for lower ratios which we find provides for more activites, better supervision and a more enjoyable experience by children, families and staff.
At Kidscorner, we create an atmosphere where children can socialize, prosper, learn and enjoy themselves. Children are given time to relax individually or with friends, create, play, rest and be active. We strive to create an environment where children feel safe, important and nurtured.
Because the Kidscorner program is based on choices and community service, children gain independence, have the freedom to learn more about what interests them, and develop into caring, responsible citizens of their community.
We aim to create a partnership between families and afterschool teachers for the benefit of every child in our program, and we promote and encourage daily communication. Our doors are open to families at all times and we welcome families to drop in and observe, have snack, or just hang out with their child.
We offer several family engagement activities and opportunities through the school year and strongly encourage families to join us and participate whenever possible.
We believe the strength of the Kidscorner program is in the dedication of our caring teaching staff. We support our afterschool teachers with continued professional development opportunities, resources, and the freedom to create unique learning experiences for the children in our program.
All our afterschool teachers are registered with the State of Oregon as required by law and all go through background checks. Every afterschool teacher at Kidscorner is also equipped with certifications for First Aid, CPR, Food Handling, and Recognizing/Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect.
Hours of Operation
September through June, Monday - Friday
K-3 Afterschool Program – 2:15 - 6:00 pm
A Before School Care option is not currently available.
Healthy and Nutritious Snacks
We are committed to serving food that is both appealing to children and supportive of their growth and development. We follow strict nutritional guidelines for school-age children established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, (USDA), the National Association for the Education of Young Children, (NAEYC), and the National Afterschool Association, (NAA).
Kidscorner snacks include 100% juice (never diluted) or milk, fruit or vegetables, a dairy option: generally cheese, milk or yogurt, and a grains portion of crackers, pasta or other breads. All snacks served are Kosher. Water is ALWAYS available.
Schools Served by Kidscorner
Kidscorner currently has children attending from the following schools:
East Sylvan, Maplewood, Rieke, and Portland Jewish Academy.
Kidscorner provides Transportation from the following schools for our Afterschool Care:
East Sylvan, Maplewood, and Rieke.
Children from other schools are always welcome to attend the Kidscorner program provided space availability and individual transportation to our program.
Enroll Your Child in Kidscorner
Enrollment for 2016-17 school year is open and accepted throughout the school year provided there is space available in the program.
1. Call or email the Director of PJA Afterschool Programs to have enrollment forms mailed to you.
2. Download our enrollment paperwork from below, then complete and return via fax, email or mail.
Space availability depends upon our daily attendance numbers. Kidscorner strives to maintain a low teacher to child ratio, and is limited by available space afterschool. Please contact the Department Director for current availability.Before enrolling your youth in the Kidscorner program we recommend you carefully read the Program Handbook for all our enrollment information as well as our standard program policies and procedures. We also recommend families review our Program Calendar before enrolling their child in our program, as our calendar indicates when our program will be closed and/or offering care on Non-School Days.
These forms can be downloaded and filled in by hand for faxing or mailing back, or opened and directly typed-into for emailing back. Paper copies can always be requested!
Automatic Payment Form (optional)
E-Statement Enrollment (optional)Please note:
- Signatures are REQUIRED to complete forms.
- Completed enrollment means agreeing to our program policies and parent/guardian expectations.
- A 10% Sibling Discount is awarded for 3 days a week or greater enrollment of at least 1 child.
As a Reminder, we bill our SEPTEMBER Tuition in July for those who were registered prior to July 1st. This is to secure your child's placement in the program and is stated in both our Handbook and in the Confirmation of Placement Letter you receive upon enrolling.
For those who enroll in the program after July 1st but prior to August 1st, you will receive your September tuition bill in August and for those who enroll after the first of August your bill will come in September. The next tuition bill comes in October and continues in equal monthly payments through May. June tuition is then pro-rated.
We are able to offer Tuition Assistance to families. Our goal at PJA Kidscorner is to provide quality, enriching Afterschool care to every school-age child.
Submit completed Enrollment Form along with your Registration Fee to our Registrar's Office via email to Afterschool@pjaproud.org, Fax to 503.452.7001, or mail/drop-off at PJA (PJA-Afterschool, 6651 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland, OR 97219)
If you have specific Tuition Assistance application questions, please call or email Beth Germain, 503.535.3593.
NOTE - We do accept DHS Subsidy and other forms of Tuition Assistance. Please contact us with any questions you might have.
Phone: 503.535.3546, Fax: 503.452.7001
Kidscorner Site Director, Heather MacLaughlan
Phone: 503.535.3637, email Heather
Program Hours: 2:15 - 6:00 pm
Follow Us on Facebook for announcements, updates and program insights!
Physical & Mailing Address:
Kidscorner Afterschool Program
c/o Portland Jewish Academy
6651 SW Capitol Hwy
Portland, OR 97219
Mail Tuition Payments to:
Portland Jewish Academy
Attn: Billing Department, RE: Kidscorner Tuition
6651 SW Capitol Hwy.,
Portland, OR 97219
All forms are available in PDF for your convenience. Paper copies can also be made available upon request.
2016-17 VDP Emergency Card (Non-members only)
Vacation Care Programs
(Care on PJA and PPS No-School Days as well as PPS monthly 2-hr Late Starts)
PJA-Afterschool offers special full day care for holiday breaks, school conference breaks, teacher in-service breaks, and PPS Late Open days. These are called Vacation Care Programs and are held on-site at Kidscorner.
Please refer to the 2016-17 Kidscorner Calendar for specific Vacation Care Programs.
Vacation Care Hours
Full-Day Care Programs 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, unless otherwise noted
Half-Day Care Programs 12:15 - 6:00 pm (for PJA students only and only on specifically marked days) Early closures at 5:00 pm may occur and will be listed on the form.
PPS 2-hour Late Opening Care Open at 7:00 am and goes until 2 hours past school's regular start time (varies by school.)
Vacation Care Fees
For information on vacation care rates and more, please visit our Fee Schedule page.
Terms of Participation
- Vacation Care Forms must be accompanied by any/all necessary the fees in full.
- Vacation Care Forms must be received by the listed deadline date (generally one business week prior).
- Participation Authorization Forms received after the listed deadline will be accepted only if there is space available.
- Vacation Care Tuition Members are subject to cancellation fees and loss of spot without refund if Vacation Care Forms are not submitted by the registration deadline.
- Cancellation must be made in writing to the Director of the PJA-Afterschool Department (email is acceptable).
- Cancellations made prior to the listed deadline, 90% of paid fees will be refunded. No refunds are applicable to Vacation Care Tuition participants.
- Cancellations made after the listed deadline, 50% of paid fees will be refunded. No refunds are applicable to Vacation Care Tuition participants.
- PJA-Afterschool Department reserves the right to dismiss a child whose behavior is deemed inappropriate, in which case, no refunds will be given.
- Vacation Day Programs offered in June are not included in any Tuition package and do require separate registration as well as payment upon registration.
- If PPS closes due to inclement weather, PJA-Afterschool will be cancelled as we are required to follow the PPS Inclement Weather Policy. Stay up to date on the PPS Inclement Weather closures by following PPSAlerts via twitter (note you do not need to be a twitter user to use this feature as it can send texts to your mobile phone instead of tweets.)
Vacation Program Emergency Card
The Vacation Program Emergency card is for non-program members only and is required for Vacation Care participation.
You can contact your Program Site Director or the Director of PJA-Afterschool Department for further details.
Once we receive and process your form, we will email you a participation confirmation.
Vacation Program and Late Opening Forms:
- PJA Students
PJA Spring Term 2017 Vacation Programs
PPS Late Openings 2016-17
PPS Spring Term 2017 Vacation Programs
2016-17 VDP Emergency Card (non-members only)
The PJA-Afterschool Department Director must receive a completed and signed Vacation Care Form and the required Vacation Program Emergency Form before any child is eligible to participate in any Vacation Day Program or Late Opening. This form acts as your legal permission slip for your child to be in our program's care for the extended hours as well as participate in all planned activities and field trips. Incomplete and/or unsigned forms will be returned unprocessed.
Please send participation forms to:
Postal Mail ATTN: PJA-Afterschool, 6651 SW Capitol; Hwy, Portland, OR 97219
Fax ATTN: PJA-Afterschool at 503.452.7001
Email to Afterschool@pjaproud.org
Hand Deliver to PJA Office to put in the Afterschool Inbox
**Forms are considered incomplete without your signature. Please do not return incomplete forms as they will be returned to you unprocessed which may result in losing your space in the program.