Welcome to Portland Jewish Academy!
We are thrilled that you are considering PJA for your child’s schooling. To apply, please follow these 5 simple steps:
Step 1: Parent/Guardian Visit
- Schedule a tour with our Admission Director, Sarah Glass, 503.535.3599 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are located at 6651 SW Capitol Highway.
Step 2: Student Application
- Kindergarten/Gan students are required to be five years old by September 1 of the year they enter.
- Complete our admission application and pay the $75 application fee. A completed application includes:
- Application for Admission
- Official school transcripts for students entering Grades 2-8.
- Confidential Teacher Evaluation Forms from two different teachers or supervisors who have significant contact with your child in a group setting. Information will be sent directly from your child’s school to the PJA Admission Office.
- Samples of current student work. Your student’s teacher will provide us with two samples of writing (creative and non-fiction) and two samples of current work in mathematics.
- A Family Questionnaire.
- An individual or group setting assessment conducted at PJA, usually on the same day as the student visit.
- Student visit – please see Step 3.
Step 3: Student Visit
- Kindergarten/Gan - 1st Grade/Kitah Alef: May participate in a group visit with other applicants or may be scheduled for an individual visit.
- 2nd/Kitah Bet - 5th Grade/Kitah Hey: Required to spend half a day visiting in a classroom. Faculty members will do an informal observation and the Admission Director will do a formal assessment of your child at that scheduled appointment.
- 6th/Kitah Vav - 8th Grade/Kitah Het: Required to spend one full day visiting in a classroom. During their visits, students participate in all classroom activities.
Step 4: Admission Decision
- After applicants have gone through the application process, the Admission Committee will meet. Acceptance will be conditional upon receipt of all of the required information and review of applicants by the Admission Committee.
Step 5: Tuition Assistance
- Please see our tuition assistance page, if needed.
Portland Jewish Academy admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin, to all rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. PJA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of their educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.