Kidsplace at Skyline
- About Our Program
- Fee Schedule
- 2019-20 Tuition Assistance
- Contact Kidsplace
- Afterschool Forms and Handouts
- Vacation Programs
Afterschool Enrichment Childcare Program
for Kindergarten - 7th grade students
at Skyline Elementary School
MISSION – To create, build and maintain programs dedicated to the care, education, and development of children and youth during their out of school time. We emphasize life skills through community service and enrichment-based programming.
The Kidsplace Program follows a philosophy of teaching developed by the National AfterSchool Association (NAA), which states that a programs goal or mission should be to provide a balance of activities in the day of the child whose time in an enrichment setting extends after school hours. To learn more about the philosophy of teaching developed by the National Afterschool Association, (NAA), please visit their website.
We encourage children to become responsible, self-confident, independent, active explorers and enthusiastic learners by stressing the process of learning and discovery through developmentally as well as age-appropriate activities that meet the children’s interests. The activities and environment at Kidsplace are specially structured to address the interests and development levels of school-age children.
- Fun enrichment activities
- Well-equipped indoor activity areas for exploring: arts & crafts; drawing; science discovery; dramatic & imaginative play; board & table games; building & construction; plus more…
- Opportunities for resting, relaxing and reading
- Opportunity for children to work towards homework completion, Monday-Thursdays for at least 45 minutes
- Large outdoor play areas and access to the gym when applicable.
We have a capacity for 30 children each day. Our actual day to day numbers may vary. Our ratio requirement is 1:15 by state law. We strive for lower ratios which we find provides for more activites, better supervision and a more enjoyable experience by children, families and staff.
At Kidsplace, we create an atmosphere where children can socialize, prosper, learn and enjoy themselves. Children are given time to relax individually or with friends, create, play rest and be active. We strive to create an environment where children feel safe, important and nurtured.
Because the Kidsplace program is based on choices and community service, children gain independence, have the freedom to learn more about what interests them, and develop into caring, responsible citizens of their community.
We aim to create a partnership between families and afterschool teachers for the benefit of every child in our program, and we promote and encourage daily communication. Our doors are open to families at all times and we welcome families to drop in and observe, have snack, or just hang out with their child.
We believe the strength of the Kidsplace program is in the dedication of our caring teaching staff. We support our afterschool teachers with continued professional development opportunities, resources, and the freedom to create unique learning experiences for the children in our program.
All our afterschool teachers are registered with the State of Oregon as required by law and all go through background checks. Every afterschool teacher at Kidsplace is also equipped with certifications for First Aid, CPR, Food Handling, and Recognizing/Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect.
Hours of Operation
September through June, Monday - Friday
K-7 Before Care Program - 7:00 - 8:45 am
K-7 Afterschool Care Program - 3:00 - 6:00 pm
Healthy and Nutritious Snacks
We are committed to serving food that is both appealing to children and supportive of their growth and development. We follow strict nutritional guidelines for school-age children established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, (USDA), the National Association for the Education of Young Children, (NAEYC), and the National Afterschool Association, (NAA).
Kidsplace snacks include 100% juice (never diluted) or milk, fruit or vegetables, a dairy option: generally cheese, milk or yogurt, and a grains portion of crackers, pasta or other breads. All snacks served are Kosher. Water is always available.
Enroll Your Child in PJA Afterschool
Enrollment at PJA Afterschool programs remains open throughout the school year providing there is space available. There are 2 ways to get your child’s enrollment process started…
1. Download our enrollment paperwork from our Afterschool Forms and Handouts drop down menu below, then complete and return via fax, email or postal mail.
2. Visit your program’s site for hard copies of enrollment paperwork and then mail or fax your completed paperwork to our main office.
Space availability depends upon our daily attendance numbers. Please contact the Department Director for a program’s current availability.
Upon enrolling your child in our programs we ask that you carefully read the Program Handbook for all our enrollment information as well as our standard program policies and procedures. We also ask that families review our Program Calendar upon enrolling. The calendar indicates when our program will be closed and/or offering care on Non-School Days.
- Signatures are REQUIRED to complete forms.
- Completed enrollment means agreeing to our program policies and parent/guardian expectations.
- A 10% Sibling Discount is awarded for 3 days a week or greater enrollment of at least 1 child.
We are able to offer Tuition Assistance to families. Our goal at Kidsplace is to provide quality, enriching Afterschool care to every school-age child in.
Submit completed Enrollment Form along with your Registration Fee to our Registrar's Office via email to Afterschool@pjaproud.org, Fax to 503.452.7001, or mail/drop-off at PJA (PJA-Afterschool, 6651 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland, OR 97219)
If you have specific Tuition Assistance application questions, please call or email Beth Germain, 503.535.3593.
NOTE - We do accept DHS Subsidy and other forms of Tuition Assistance. Please contact us with any questions you might have!
PJA Afterschool Department Director, Natalie Haskins
Phone: 503.535.3546, Fax: 503.452.7001
Kidsplace Site Director, Jolene Williams
Phone: 503.535.3612, email Jolene
Program Hours: 7:00 - 8:45 am and 3:00 - 6:00 pm
Follow Us on Facebook for announcements, updates and program insights!
Physical Address (not our mailing address):
Skyline Elementary School
11536 NW Skyline Blvd.
Portland, OR 97231
c/o Portland Jewish Academy
6651 SW Capitol Hwy
Portland, OR 97219
Mail Tuition Payments to:
Portland Jewish Academy
Attn: Billing Department, RE: Kidsplace Tuition
6651 SW Capitol Hwy.,
Portland, OR 97219
All forms are available in PDF for your convenience. Paper copies can also be made available upon request.
Automatic Payment Form (optional)
E-Statement Enrollment (optional)
2019-20 VDP Emergency Card (non-members only)
Vacation Care Programs
(Care on No-School Days)
PJA-Afterschool offers full day care programs for holiday breaks, school conference breaks, and teacher in-service days. These are called Vacation Care Programs and are held on site or at Kidscorner, our Southwest Portland site.
Please refer to the 2019-20 PJA-Afterschool Calendar for specific Vacation Care Programs offered this year!
Vacation Care Hours
Full-Day Care Programs 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, unless otherwise noted
Vacation Care Fees
To learn about Vacation Care Fees and more, please visit our Fee Schedule page.
Terms of Participation
- Vacation Care Forms must be accompanied by any/all necessary the fees in full.
- Vacation Care Forms must be received by the listed deadline date (generally one business week prior).
- Participation Authorization Forms received after the listed deadline will be accepted only if there is space available.
- Vacation Care Tuition Members are subject to cancellation fees and loss of spot without refund if Vacation Care Forms are not submitted by the registration deadline.
- Cancellation must be made in writing to the Director of the PJA-Afterschool Department (email is acceptable).
- Cancellations made prior to the listed deadline, 90% of paid fees will be refunded. No refunds are applicable to Vacation Care Tuition participants.
- Cancellations made after the listed deadline, 50% of paid fees will be refunded. No refunds are applicable to Vacation Care Tuition participants.
- PJA-Afterschool Department reserves the right to dismiss a child whose behavior is deemed inappropriate, in which case, no refunds will be given.
- Vacation Day Programs offered in June are not included in any Tuition package and do require separate registration as well as payment upon registration.
- If PPS closes due to inclement weather, PJA-Afterschool will be cancelled as we are required to follow the PPS Inclement Weather Policy. Stay up to date on the PPS Inclement Weather closures by reviewing their website at https://www.pps.net
Vacation Program Emergency Card
The Vacation Program Emergency card is for non-program members only and is required for Vacation Care participation.
You can contact your Program Site Director or the Director of PJA-Afterschool Department for further details.
Once we receive and process your form, we will email you a participation confirmation.
Vacation Program Forms:
The PJA-Afterschool Department Director must receive a completed and signed Participation Form and the required Vacation Program Emergency Form before any child is eligible to participate in any Vacation Day Programs. This form acts as your legal permission slip for your child to be in our program's care for the extended hours as well as participate in all planned activities and field trips. Incomplete and/or unsigned forms will be returned unprocessed.
Please send participation forms to:
Postal Mail ATTN: PJA-Afterschool, 6651 SW Capitol; Hwy, Portland, OR 97219;
Fax ATTN: PJA-Afterschool at 503.452.7001;
Hand Deliver to PJA Office to put in the Afterschool Inbox
**Forms are considered incomplete without your signature. Please do not return incomplete forms as they will be returned to you unprocessed which may result in losing your space in the program.