The topic in Kindergarten this week was bullying. The lesson was planned before Wednesday’s show of violence in our nation's capital. When adults are spewing hatred, it can be so frustrating for teachers and trusted adults, who are trying to guide children and establish concepts such as:
- Respect for fellow human beings.
- Showing kindness to your neighbor and treating others as you want to be treated.
- Active listening, even if you do not agree.
- Leaving things better than you found them.
- Equity, privilege, and how to be an ally.
- And how to win or lose gracefully.
We are all responsible for modeling for our children understanding, love, kindness and tolerance. The importance of teaching future generations to be able to spot inequities in our society, to seek truth, and to pursue justice remains abundantly clear. The events of this week only strengthen our resolve as educators to continue to teach these middot (values).
Olam Chesed Yibaneh - We shall build this world in kindness and peace.
*Special thanks to guest writer and Kindergarten teacher, Celinda Llanez, for her contribution to this Spotlight.