Affording PJA (K-8)
Tuition for the 2022-2023 school year
Tuition: Kindergarten - 5th Grade - $22,050
Tuition: Middle School - $22,800
Third and additional children from the same family receive a 20% discount on tuition.
Full Payment Plan
Entire payment by May 1, 2022 - receive $200 discount per student.
Entire payment by June 1, 2022 - receive $100 discount per student.
Ten Payment Plan
10 equal installments due the first of each month from July 1, 2022 to April 1, 2023. These fees are for the academic year 2022-2023. Fees may be adjusted for the 2023-2024 academic year. Consult the PJA business office for more information. A voluntary donation of $2,000 will help to offset the difference between the tuition and the actual cost of educating a student and is tax deductible to you. If you would like to make a donation to PJA, please click here.
Tuition assistance is determined on the basis of need as well as timely submission of the tuition assistance application and registration forms. We strive to make it possible for students whose families require assistance to attend PJA, while stewarding the community's resources responsibly. While PJA rarely grants awards greater than 50% in tuition assistance, PJA may consider requests that are greater than 50% for certain circumstances. PJA is committed to addressing the concerns that families have regarding the affordability of a Jewish Day School education and strongly encourages families at every level of need to apply for financial assistance.
We utilize the online service of Financial Aid for School Tuition (FAST) to process applications. FAST will be the standard submission format for all applications. Families with complicated or unusual financial situations may be asked to provide supplemental information.
FAST does not decide whether tuition assistance will be given or how much to give; rather, FAST provides a need-based financial aid analysis service which includes a recommendation of what a family should reasonably contribute toward tuition. All information from FAST is kept confidential. Results are reviewed by the Tuition Assistance Committee which makes recommendations and the determination of awards are solely the responsibility of the PJA Tuition Assistance Committee, PJA Principal and Chief Financial Officer. This committee considers all submitted information and individual tuition assistance decisions to be strictly confidential. Tuition Assistance offers are then sent to families.
There is a $45 per family fee that accompanies the Tuition Assistance application that can be paid by credit card at the end for the application session. If you do not have a credit card or cannot budget the fee, please call Beth Germain at 503.535.3593 for assistance.
Applications for 2022-23 open now.
Step 1: Complete the FAST Financial Aid Application online by February 1, 2022.
- Please note: For two household families, both parents are required to complete an application even if only one parent contributes to tuition.
- Typically, the Tuition Assistance Committee will impute a wage for a spouse who is not currently employed. The wage will be calculated at 40 hours per week at a minimum wage. However, the committee makes exceptions when a spouse has a substantial reason for not being employed, such as having non-school-age children at home, having children and/or parents who require significant assistance, inability to find employment, or inability to work due to religious or cultural reasons. If you have any questions regarding this policy, please do not hesitate to contact the Chief Financial Officer.
- The application process is self-guided. You may navigate in and out of the program allowing you to partially complete an application as needed and go back to it at another time. If you have questions about the application process online, please use the available online, e-mail and a 24/7 helpline provided through FAST. PJA is not equipped to answer your specific questions about the online application.
To be considered for tuition assistance complete the online form.
Click here to complete the online form.
Step 2: Submit a personal statement (encouraged)
- Describe briefly why your family is applying for tuition assistance and any other circumstances that are not covered in other portions of the application. You may use the “letter” section of the application for this purpose.
Step 3: Submit your tax documents
- Include tax return for 2021 - attach 2020 if 2021 is not yet complete
- Submit your 2021 W-2 and/or 1099 forms.
- Submit your 2021 tax return ASAP, but no later than April 15, 2022.
- Plan on filing your 2021 taxes early in order to meet this requirement.
- Please include the 1040 form with all applicable schedules showing income or losses.
- Include Schedule A if applicable.
- Please note that electronic signatures via Turbo Tax or other tax software are acceptable.
- Preferred submission method: Scan and upload directly to FAST. Instructions to upload documents can be found online.
- Alternatively, you may mail your most recent tax returns for both state and federal taxes with all schedules and W-2’s to:
- FAST Processing
1316 North Union Street
Wilmington DE 19806-2594
*Include the school’s name on the outside of the envelope to ensure faster processing of your application.
Range of Eligibility
The tables below outline average tuition for families in PJA’s tuition assistance program over the past five years. These tables are based on income range and the number of children in PJA. We hope this gives a sense of what your family could anticipate in tuition assistance to attend PJA.*
ONE CHILD AT PJA
|Income Range||Average Family Contribution||# of Awards in the past 5 years|
|$0 - $39,999||$7,045||14|
|$40,000 - $79,999||$9,498||37|
|$80,000 - $119,999||$11,491||39|
|$120,000 - $159,999||$11,913||48|
|$160,000 - $199,999||$13,688||44|
|$200,000 - $239,999||$15,097||47|
TWO CHILDREN AT PJA
|Income Range||Average Family Contribution
|# of Awards in the past 5 years|
|$0 - $39,999||$8,968||2|
|$40,000 - $79,999||$9,333||15|
|$80,000 - $119,999||$9,076||27|
|$120,000 - $159,999||$9,728||23|
|$160,000 - $199,999||$11,143||30|
|$200,000 - $239,999||$11,903||34|
THREE CHILDREN AT PJA
|Income Range||Average Family Contribution
|# of Awards in the past 5 years|
|$0 - $39,999||$7,752||1|
|$40,000 - $79,999||N/A||0|
|$80,000 - $119,999||$8,557||4|
|$120,000 - $159,999||$8,296||2|
|$160,000 - $199,999||$8,542||3|
|$200,000 - $239,999||N/A||0|
*May include childcare and preschool students which skews the per Student contribution.
*The family contributions listed are only averages and not a guarantee of tuition assistance. Individual awards are reviewed and calculated by the Tuition Assistance Committee, and awards are based on many factors in addition to annual income and number of children in PJA. Other considerations may include:
- Bank accounts and investments
- Home equity and other assets
- Certain types of debt and unusual expenses
- Medical expenses
- Individual family circumstances on a case-by-case basis
- Status of a stay at home parent without other dependents in the household
"Our family has greatly benefited from the incredible care and devotion of fabulous teachers, the school-wide focus on helping a wide variety of learners reach their potential, the institutional commitment to financial aid and accessibility, and the vision and creativity of educational leaders who have transformed PJA into what it is today. All five of us are so grateful.”
- Deborah, Steven, Roza, Lev, and Tamir Eisenbach-Budner